Tuesday 1 February 2022

Back after a long time!

 I haven't been posting here while I've been getting the Relapsing Polychondritis under control. I now really understand the 'spoon theory' re energy and fatigue that I've heard about from friends with ME, MS, Fibromyalgia, and other long term conditions! So I haven't got as much done in terms of new quilts - my sashiko sampler quilt along ground to a halt once I'd got several sets of blocks made, but I WILL resume it soon. Healthwise, I'm now taking Methotrexate, and I'm tapering off the Prednisolone, so most days I feel almost like the old me. I don't have the energy levels though, so can't get quite as much done. I did manage to do quite a few World Textile Days last year and plan to be at all of them in 2022 (except the very first one). My online store keeps me busy too, and I'm working on a new book - which will have to stay under wraps for now!

So the stunning quilt in the photos isn't mine, but by Katherine Dugmore, who is a member of one of the Facebook groups I belong to. She used just three blocks from my book 'Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match' - Mitsu Tomoe (triple comma), 'Irori', and ?? (I can't spot which one this is!)


... maybe this, modified?


Katherine gave me permission to share the photo of her work in progress and wrote -

I had real trouble trying to find the striped fabric that would tie in with the galaxy fabric. Then decided the central block should look sun like so the mitsu tomoe worked really well.

I LOVED the blocks in her fabric choices, and the directonal speckled print looks fabulous for the 'irori' blocks - a great choice. It is hard to believe that there are only three blocks and four fabrics in this quilt, because the fabrics give it such variety, especially in the irori blocks.

The patterned fabrics are all Crafty Cotton, the plain purple I was given and they are all 100% cotton. The 'irori block is Rainbow Glitter for the stripes and the planets in the centre Space 1 Multi, the tomoe block has the Space 6 Multi with plain purple squares. There are only 4 fabrics in the quilt at the moment. All the patterned fabrics were bought online from Abakhan fabrics hobby and home.

Quilting hasn't been decided yet, but I could see this working with so many ideas. This is how I quilted my original Irori quilt (which was years between piecing the top and quilting it - you can't rush these things!)



I can't wait to see how Katherine completes her quilt! It is going to be her son's 21st birthday present. Lucky guy!

I've got rainbow effects on the brain at the moment. Olympus Thread Mfg. Co. have launched some fabulous new 100m sashiko thread colours today, and my stock is on its way right now, possibly arriving as early as Friday - I've got my fingers crossed that there won't be any delays this time.


I'm most excited about this thread, which I designed for Olympus. It is a true rainbow thread, and the colours are in the correct progression. I can't wait to stitch with it!



So you can probably see why I have rainbows on the brain today!

No comments: