Wednesday, 17 July 2019

Sashiko in Stockton - exhibition on Saturday 20th July

The Sashiko in Stockton exhibition is on Saturday 20th July, from 10am to 3pm, at All Saints Church, Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees, TS18 5EB - here's a map. (NB - there's another All Saints Church in the Stockton area - make sure you head for the right one!)

Exhibits include work by the Stockton sashiko groups, my Scottish sashiko students, Yuza Sashiko Guild, and a selection of pieces from my books.  I can't wait to see some of the Stockton sashiko samplers finished and they are BIG pieces!

We will be serving light refreshments (teas, coffees, cakes/biscuits etc.) in exchange for donations which will be going to the Butterwick Hospice.

Traders are Susan Briscoe Designs and Japan Crafts, so you can get all your sashiko and kogin goodies at the exhibition, plus the new Olympus stripes, Japanese printed patchwork cottons etc.

See you on Saturday!

Wednesday, 3 July 2019

Olympus stripes!

I have added the new Olympus woven stripes to my website shop now.  A few of them are in the photo above, and I now have the full range of 24 - four different stripe patterns in lots of colours.  Click here to shop.

I use stripes a lot in my quilts and sashiko projects.  Most of the stripes in the photos below were narrow traditional width cotton stripes from Japan, very similar to the Olympus stripes, but of course only 14 1/2in wide, which a) limited how I could use them, b) made them much more expensive.  You can order the 110cm wide Olympus stripes, which are the same quality and almost identical weave to the traditional narrow width stripes, in half metre increments and they cost just £18 per metre.

Tuesday, 2 July 2019

My internet shop is now OPEN!


At last - I got the website shop open! I'm adding more items all the time, so keep coming back for a look. Click here to go to the shop.  So far, I've listed most of the sashiko threads, fabrics and needles, and the new kogin supplies (need to reorder some of those!).  Happy browsing! 


Wednesday, 12 June 2019

World Textile Day Scotland

Coming up on Saturday 15th June - World Textile Day Scotland at Bridge of Allan -  I have lots of lovely new stripes and shot tsumugi cotton (110cm wide), including more than is shown in the photo above, sashiko thread, kogin supplies, sashiko panels etc.

 I'm launching the new book too, and will be giving a short talk in the afternoon called 'The Great Japanese Kogin Hunt' - how I found out what it is, and how to do it!

Tuesday, 4 June 2019

The Ultimate Kogin Collection

The Ultimate Kogin Collection - I found out last night that the publication/release date has been brought forward. How did I find out? Because it was spotted that the publication date on Amazon UK had changed to 7th June. It was supposed to be the 29th. No one told me about this, so I've had three weeks less than planned to prepare for the launch. Apparently, it is F&W Media's 'policy' to do this if the stock arrives early (mine hasn't even arrived with them yet). I very quickly added a 'shop' page to my website so you can buy it direct from me - click here to advance order your signed copy. The books should arrive with me on Friday or Monday.

I am bit annoyed about it, because it makes me look like I have deliberately given people the wrong information. It also means that my 'pre publication' sales for World Textile Day, Gresford Craft Group and Wrexham Quilting Circle exhibition, and Sewing Quarter will now be AFTER it goes on sale, but there isn't a lot I can do about that. I have ordered kogin threads and materials in for what was supposed to be the book launch at World Textile Day on 15th June, but they are not due to arrive until the end of next week. I will list these on my website as soon as possible.

Wednesday, 29 May 2019

World Textile Day Central coming up!

World Textile Day Central in King’s Sutton this Saturday 1st June

'A dedicated band of textile enthusiasts will be delighted to hear that World Textile Day will be back at The Millennium Memorial Hall in King’s Sutton, near Banbury on Saturday (June 1st).

'World Textile Day is a fantastic day out for anyone who loves textiles. A collection of specialists in world textiles - traders and collectors, get together for a day in this lovely village venue. As usual, we’ll have an exhibition of textiles, a market place unlike anything you have seen before, and two talks running through the day.

There are now eight World Textile Days which take place around the country through the year, and each year we have a different theme. The theme for 2019 is "Inspired To Create". So, our talks and exhibition will reflect the way that world textiles have inspired our guest artists and speakers to create their own work.

'At 11 am Heather Koumi, a batik artist based in Rugby will give a talk on how her trip to Java 6 years ago, to work alongside batik artists and craftswomen  gave her a whole new outlook on the way she worked and the changes it bought to her own art.

'At 2 pm Joan Fisher will give a shorter half hour talk on the amazing work of the Tentmakers of Cairo and this will be followed by a session of "Wear and Tell" – where the audience and members of the World Textile Day team will show up wearing an interesting garment and tell everyone a little about it. 
Come and meet up with your textile loving friends at this small and friendly show. And if you’ve never been before, come and find out what it’s all about.

'The Day is open from 10 am to 4.30 and entrance is FREE!

'There are two talk sessions at 11 am and 2pm, and tickets for these talks cost just £3 each (or both sessions for £5)
Refreshments will be available, there is free parking at the venue and the railway station is less than a mile away, so come along and enjoy all or part of the day.'

For more information, have a look at the website

Magie Relph and Diane Gaffney (co-organisers)