Saturday 28 November 2009

"The Big One" in Wrexham...


...turned out not to be as big as we expected (in terms of visitors), although the Glyndwr banner was. Still, we had some good company, a nice warm venue and an easy getin/out. I resisted the temptation to display the cushions in the basketball hoop.

The quilt hanging up behind us is "New Year's Eve in Yamagata City", a quilt I made during November and December 1998. The vivid orange fabrics are wool "mosurin", little girls' kimono fabrics from the 1960s/70s, bought at Obiya, my neighbours' shop in Yuza-machi in 1992. It is a good design for showcasing some special fabrics in the squares and also for using up those festive/winter fabrics in a non-Christmas way. There's a pattern for this one - click here and scroll down.

To compensate for the blurriness of the photo of me, I've given it a watercolour effect in Photoeditor. Oddly, that has changed the colour of the sashiko stitches to black. I autobalanced the colours first, which brought up the orange in "New Year's Eve..." to the max. It really is that bright in real life!


Some of Thursday's kimono went off to their new homes!

No comments: