Tuesday 8 June 2010

Hungary - around Miskolc


Miskolc is the third largest city in Hungary and the drive (thank you Zsuza!) took us about two hours from Budapest, on a quiet motorway. The views across the countryside were beautiful. Unfortunately, evidence of the recent floods could also be seen very well from the road and while we were in Miskolc, some nearby areas were on flood alert (although from the TV news, it looked like some were already badly flooded). I hope there's no more rain!

The venue for the quilt weekend was just opposite the museum, where we went for lunch each day. I enjoyed the pickle salads so much, I've just bought a jar in Tesco's European section! :-)

This is where I stayed - a Secession-style villa in a quiet street. The house was built in 1916 and has been beautifully restored. The original architect's drawings were displayed in the foyer, along with all kinds of antique memorabilia contemporary with the villa - a clock in the dining room was identical to the one that my grandparents had.


Tiled floor in the foyer - I think it is modern, but the design would make an interesting medallion quilt centre (or perhaps a sashiko pattern) -


This is the view from my bedroom window -


Apparently, this area was popular for summer residences. There were some other beautiful buildings on this avenue.


With so much to do at the quilting weekend, there wasn't time to explore the city centre, so I'm going to enjoy the photo book and DVD the quilters gave me as a goodbye present. We did go to the Belgian beer cafe up the road (more photos of it are on the hotel gallery slideshow), which was excellent. It seemed like the right weather for a Kriek beer!

1 comment:

Blogless me said...

Nice to see Belgian goodness being enjoyed in Hungary as well. Next time you are in Belgium, you should try the Kriek of Lindemans. It is divine!