Friday 29 July 2011

'Japanese Taupe Quilt Blocks' Block of the Month


Laura Nownes is teaching a couple of Block of the Month courses from my 'Japanese Taupe Quilt Blocks' book - there's more info on her blog. You'd need to be in Northern California and - sorry - both courses area already sold out. Perhaps she could be persuaded to run another? Of course, the book shown above is the Kodansha International edition, with the pink background for the title - the UK and Australian versions have black backgrounds - but the book's contents are exactly the same.

I love the fabric selection she's been putting together and totally understand when she says 'I love the look of the taupe quilts, but honestly have a hard time working without the punch of color.' In some ways, taupes are easy because almost anything goes with anything else but on the other hand it is a little more difficult to select from taupes in order to give a quilt a particular mood. Adding a little extra colour to 'lift' the scheme works well - there is, after all, more colour in many of my applique blocks and touches of blues and reds in the pieced blocks, but it's all very subtle in the original. Sure as anything, taupe isn't just grey and brown, although there's a lot of those colours...


I am looking forward to a lot of sophisticated blocks from these two courses - more eye candy, and I don't even have to do the work myself! :-)

If you would like to run a Block of the Month course from any of my block books, please let me know - I'm always happy to promote them for you, as I don't have time, at the moment, to teach BOM courses myself (this could change in future - will keep you posted!) So long as the participants are buying the book and you're not just photocopying big chunks of them (which wouldn't go down well with my publishers!)... There are several other blog posts about other BOM courses - just Google the blog with 'Block of the Month' to find these.

No comments: