Tuesday 24 May 2016

Yuza Sashiko Guild at World Textile Day


Now I'm home after Yuza Sashiko Guild's big trip to Wales and the English borders, I have time to post a few photos of our travels.  They arrived on Thursday 12th May and we had a day out together in Chester before World Textile Day at Frodsham on Saturday 14th.


We had a look at Chester cathedral (Reiko Domon's request), where there are so many inspirational design sources in the architecture, and then met my quilting friends Val Shields and Maureen Poole for lunch at The Albion before I went off to Frodsham to set up the show with Glyn.



On Saturday, we went to Frodsham by train, and Yuza Sashiko Guild did an excellent demo/'make and take'.  You can see some of their fantastic recent sashiko quilts hanging behind them.



Koto Domon helped me with my talk, 'Kimono - Dressing Up and Dressing Down' - with an expert kitsuke demonstration.  She was wearing a very sophisticated ensemble with an Oshima tsumugi kimono with karabana motifs (an ancient Japanese pattern of imaginary Chinese flowers) and started her kimono dressing demo with a naturally dyed fukuro obi which was one of the most gorgeous yet simple fukuro obi I have ever seen.   She demonstrated how to tie otaiko musubi (drum knot), then demoed chou musubi (butterfly knot) and kai no kuchi musubi (shellfish knot) with the hanhaba (half width) obi she is wearing in the photo below.  This also had a very classical design, like a textile from the Shosoin in the 8th century.  If anyone has any photos or video clips from the talk, I would love to see them.


The fukuro obi that I liked so much looked very much like this Yonezawa tsumugi obi I saw at Tansuya in Ikebukuro in November 2013.  I would have loved to buy it but it was very expensive.




I couldn't believe it when Koto-san gave me her fukuro obi as a present!


This is a photo of the stall looking fairly presentable.  We had a really busy day.  My talk didn't quite go to plan, as Glyn and our van disappeared in the morning and didn't arrive at the hall.  After a lot of chasing around, we found out from the AA that he had broken down before he left Chester.  He eventually arrived about halfway through the afternoon with my laptop and all the Yuza Sashiko sales items.  This meant we have had to do the rest of the trip in a rented van.  After a very hectic day, we were all more than ready for dinner in Frodsham that evening.


 




No comments: