Sunday 21 August 2016

A knot garden, not a mandala


We have had a lot of people coming and going at my parents' home over the last few weeks - carers, doctors, nurses - and a lot of them have been drawn to my the abstract embroidered panel hanging up in the hall.  Most people think it is some kind of mandala but it is actually inspired by an aerial view of a formal garden in winter.

I used a lot of silver metallic prints for the bordered beds and the main one, with the rosette design in the middle, was one of the Hoffman prints chosen for their 1999 'Millenium' challenge.  I had fat quarters of all the challenge fabrics and used the gold metallics for my quilt entry, but the silver didn't really work with the others - it was much more sparkly and the blue didn't coordinate with the more antique colourways.  It seemed to work much better with other silver metallics.

I made the panel for the 'Silver' challenge for Gresford Craft Group's 25th anniversary and I think we had that show around about 2001 or 2002.  I am sure I made the panel before I got the Bernina 153 QE because there are only quite basic stitches on it.  It is embellished with beads, sequins and metallic nets.  The centre is supposed to look like a Victorian fountain that has frozen.


No comments: