Monday 12 February 2018

Getting ready for the Spring Quilt Festivals


I've been busy packing for the Spring Quilt Festivals at Edinburgh (Friday 16th - Sunday 18th February) and Harrogate (Friday 23rd - Sunday 25th February).  I have a great selection of fine and thick sashiko threads in lots of colours, striped and plain sashiko fabrics (narrow width) and some great new additions to the stencilled yukata cotton ranges.  We will also be displaying some of the finished samplers from last year's sashiko course.

My workshops at the Spring Quilt Festivals this year, and later at the National Quilt Championships at Sandown Park in June, are for mini boro bags.  These are smaller versions of the bag I made for the V&A book last year.  The bags Fiona made in the photos above and below are about the same size.


Edinburgh workshop details are here and Harrogate details are here.

I'll start you off on making the bag, which you will be able to finish at home.  The workshop pack fabrics are rather special, as we have packed up a combination of new Japanese striped Enshu cotton (from Hamamatsu) for the lining and handles - super strong and durable - with vintage recycled Japanese cotton fabrics for the boro patches.  Depending on how soon the fine white and fine cream sashiko thread arrives from Japan, the stitching thread may be bright red!






Fiona has made more of these bags than me now, so she's been in charge of putting together the boro fabric packs for the workshop.  There will be a really nice mixture of fabrics in them.  This is another of Fiona's bags.


The boro section of the bag is made flat, then sewn up the sides - 


Also by Fiona.  I think she's made more than me now!


If you can't make it to the show, there is a link to a free tutorial for the larger bag on my website, courtesy of the V&A.  I'm also teaching a day workshop on the larger bag at The Peacock and the Tortoise on 11th May - details are on their website.

No comments: