Wednesday 20 February 2008

Edinburgh quilt show this coming weekend



After a busy time last weekend, at the Craft Hobby + Stitch trade show at the NEC on Sunday, and a day's photoshoot for the next patchwork bag book yesterday, today I'm preparing for the spring quilt show at Edinburgh this weekend - more info here http://www.grosvenorexhibitions.co.uk/Quilt/Quilts-Spring/Quilts-Spring.html#Edinburgh


As I've done in previous years, there's a new mini workshop I'll be teaching at all the Grosvenor Exhibitions shows I'm attending this year (except Quilts UK at Malvern in May, where they don't have workshops). I've called it "Sashiko on Stripes and Checks". Lots of vintage sashiko pieces were stitched on striped or checked fabrics, requiring minimal or no marking and using the pattern to line up the stitches. There are several projects in "Japanese Sashiko Inspirations" that make use of this technique. One of the patterns we will be stitching in the workshop is a variation on komezashi (rice stitch), the same pattern stitched in blue as a background band in the kimono wallhanging in the photo (a "work in progress" pic with it's tacking stitches still in place!) The other is a hishizashi (diamond sashiko) variation. You can book the workshop on the day, but it is best to be there early!

The Edinburgh show is one of my favourites and the quilters we meet there are a really nice bunch of people, out to have a fun day, and many of them have travelled a long way to be there. This is a photo of last year's stand - I was stitching the ranru wallhanging from the new book as my show demo. The quilt behind me is "Masu" - made with Japanese wool, silk and blended kimono fabrics - I have a pattern for it available via my website http://www.susanbriscoe.co.uk/patterns.htm

Hopefully I will have got rid of my cold too...


No comments: