Saturday 29 November 2008

Birmingham bling for Solstice

A couple of friends host an annual Solstice party and guests area requested to wear something sparkly to encourage the sun to return (all in good fun). I usually make an effort to come up with something interesting.

This year feels like winter is going to be colder. I wanted to make a snug outfit to keep warm while we drink a toast around the bonfire and watch the mummers' play. After I'd already planned last year's sparkle, I saw some very sparkly collar and cuff sets for Indian salwar kameez at Birmingham's Rag Market, so decided to build this year's outfit around one of those.

I got the beautiful sequined and beaded set for £5 and a remnant (3 3/4 metres) of stretch velvet, scattered with tiny clear sequins, on the open market outside the Rag Market of £8. A whole party outfit for just £13 isn't bad (OK, needs some sewing!). I am going to make a mid calf length dress, very simple, with hopefully enough fabric left over for leggings to match. The velvet is 150cm wide, so I'm hoping there will be enough.

It was difficult to photograph this without flare off the shiny velvet but with sparkle from the sequins & beads!

No comments: