Tuesday 21 April 2009

"Landscape on Kimono" summer exhibition


Today I went to the Royal International Pavilion at Llangollen to check details for my next kimono exhibition, in August. I am going to focus on kimono, obi and haori with landscape designs, showing how different landscape themes are depicted on kimono. As well as the various kimono themselves, I am planning to include some Japanese prints and drawings for yuzen dyeing.

Trees & forests
Townscapes & buildings
The garden view
Landscape on tomesode
Famous views
Bingata & abstraction
Mountains & "above the clouds"

The houmongi shown above will be included. Here are some photos of some of the potential exhibits - I still have to whittle them down to a shortlist.




The exhibition opens on Monday 10th August and runs until Tuesday 25th August. It will be open weekdays 10 a.m. - 4p.m. It won't be open at weekends, unless there is a weekend event which coincides with the exhibition.

From 10th - 18th and again for the 24th and 25th, I will be stewarding the exhibition. While I am away at Festival of Quilts, I'll hand over to Guy & friends.

During the first week, I am planning a few workshops in the gallery. It looks like these will include a sashiko workshop and a hinagata (50cm long small size/miniature) kimono. Both will be handsewing only. I'll publish details of these here, once I have finalised all the information.

This time, I am going to have a preview day on Friday 7th August. If you would like to join us for the preview, please let me know. it will be a daytime event as the building isn't open that evening and it works out easier for me to do it that way, but I'll see if we can stay open till 5p.m. I'll try to organise some press coverage for that day too.

The wooded hills around Llangollen remind me of some of the landscapes depicted on kimono, hence deciding this would be the theme for my second exhibition. If you would like to see photos of the first, please go back to January 2008 blog posts for photos and slideshows.

There's a steam festival on at the railway this week, so we watched various trains coming in and out of the station before coming home.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Ohh, I love that first kimono. Have put the dates for the exhibition in my diary. Like the sound of the hinagata workshop, perhaps that will be my first embroidered kimono! Slightly smaller project than a full size one.