Thursday 13 May 2010

"Postcards from the Exhibition" wallhanging

I made this wallhanging to commemorate the centenary of the opening of the Japan British Exhibition at the White City, London, on 14th May 1910. Right now it is hanging in the "Colours of the Rainbow" themed section at Quilts UK, Malvern. My reason for entering it in this theme was the hand colouring of the 72 original postcards that I scanned and printed onto Miracle Fabric Sheets for the piece, all taken as black and white images but coloured by hand before being printed using the four colour photo litho process by Valentines. I have more than 72 cards in my collection, but there were limits to how large I wanted to make this hanging - each finished block is 6 1/2in square and it is made using the quilt at you go method.

I'll add a photo of the finished quilt tomorrow. For now, I'll be adding a slideshow of the original poscard scans and another showing how the fabric prints and blocks were made.

Read more about the Japan British Exhibition 1910 on the Exhibition Study Group's website, The Museum of London's website (where you can explore other images and the history of the White City) and at Wikipedia.

No comments: