Monday 1 November 2010

Workshops coming up

I'm teaching two Japanese textile workshops at The Quilt Room, Dorking, this month. The first is already sold out but there are some places left on the second - 'Japanese Art Quilt Boromono' - click here for details and scroll down.

The boromono or scrap cloth is a project that allows for very free piecing, with little measuring needed. It is great for using up scraps or for playing with an assortment of fabrics, a bundle of stripes and checks, some Japanese taupe wovens etc.

Here are some antique boromono from my collection (also called "ranru" or tatter cloths) -


Once totally utilitarian items, with the patching on the back rather than the front, old boromono are now highly collectible, with good large examples being sold for several hundred $ or GBP to collectors who value them highly as accidental abstract art. Check out the boromono at Sri Threads to see what I'm talking about!

Here are some boromono in progress at earlier workshops -



They don't have to be blue!

The boromono can end up as large as you like, although a piece approx. 20 x 30in is more likely to be achieved in a day. I finished my boromono in the photo below by backing it with a piece of furnishing linen, bagging it out without wadding rather than binding it, and adding very simple sashiko stitching inspired by that on the paler old boromono above. Although I used recycled fabrics, the subtle wear and patina seen on old boromono is something that it will acquire in use.

If you are interested in attending this workshop, please contact The Quilt Room direct, using the link at the top of this post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susan, thank you so much for this post! I love this style of simple Japanese quilting, but I didn't know it was called boromono. I would really like to make one of my own, it's a pity I can't attend your workshop.