Friday 28 January 2011

Crafts 4 Crafters at Exeter


The second day of Crafts 4 Crafters at Exeter has just finished and tomorrow (Saturday) is the last day. I had an early start yesterday to set up my display before the show opened, but by 10 a.m. everything was ready to go.

I am demonstrating various sashiko techiniques 'on demand', depending on what visitors would like to know (pattern marking and stitching technique mainly). Being on a shell stand means I can include the sampler quilt from "The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook" as well as pieces from "Japanese Taupe Quilt Blocks" and some old favourites - "99 Treasures" and "Time and Again" - which would be difficult using only my quilt stands. The sashiko sampler quilt is so heavy, I couldn't expect display it and another quilt on the same metal stand without bowing the top bar.


The table with chairs is set up for the rolling "make and take" sessions. Visitors can try stitching kusazashi (grass stitch) sashiko, one of the Yuza Sashiko traditional stitches, as an introductory taster.


This lovely interpretation of the starry backpack from "21 Sensational Patchwork Bags" was brought in today. The red buttons (handmade?) accent the grey stripy colourscheme nicely.


Looking forward to tomorrow but can't believe how quickly this show has gone by!

1 comment:

Radka said...

Hi Susan! Just to say how much I enjoyed meeting you yesterday and our little chat about your workshop in Prague. I hope you are having a good show!