Monday 24 October 2011

The Autumn Quilt Festival, Malvern


I am starting to get ready for the Malvern autumn quilt show this weekend. Unlike Quilts UK in May, it is only a three day show, but there is still plenty to see and do, including one hour workshops (I'll be doing one on making little sashiko coasters). As usual, there seems to be much to do, including repacking a lot of kits and patterns that have sold out over the last month!

The quilts from 'Japanese Quilt Inspirations' are still on tour at the autumn shows and will all be on display at Malvern - click here to see photos of them displayed at the Great Northern Quilt Show at the beginning of September 2011. It is hard to choose a favourite quilt from the book, but I think 'Kamon' ('crest', above) is one of them, at the moment.

The original version of 'Irori' (hearth), renamed 'Tatami' (rush mat) in the book, is the one with the longest design history, as the top was made in 1998. It includes fabrics acquired in Japan in 1991/92, as well as some of Euro Japan Link's first fabric ranges, so it has a lot of nostalgia for me.


'Igeta' (well curb) is another big favourite, once again predominantly blue and white, although this was the second version of this quilt, with the first one made in red and black (also included in the book, called 'Matsuri', which means festival). I took this quilt around with me to finish the hand quilting, and worked on it in various places including my hotel room in Hungary last year!


It has become a bit of a tradition to take a quilt with me to work on in the evenings at my hotel - I haven't decided which one I'll pack for next weekend yet...

No comments: