Sunday 18 March 2012

World Textile Day in Llanidloes


We had the busiest World Textile Day ever yesterday. My talk and demo in the afternoon, 'Close up Sashiko', had 98 in the audience, which we think is a record for WTD, and we were very busy on the stand all day. Unfortunately, I didn't get around to taking any photos, so I'll have to wait for Bob to send me some of his. The quilt above was on my display, but the photo is from another show.

After a 6.30 a.m. start, we were down at the venue in Llanidloes at 8a.m. to set up for opening at 10. Debbie got most of the sales stand stuff organised, while Glyn helped me hang a small sashiko exhibition featuring some of my best antique pieces. All of the items below were displayed. I had planned to hang pieces like two kotatsu table covers, one from Fukushima and one from Sendai, but in the end I used these in the talk instead, so people could see both sides of them.

Link
Our next World Textile Day is at Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire on Saturday 16th June - full details are here. As well as it being one of the small number of opportunities to see my Japanese fabrics and kimono for sale as I only attend a limited number of shows as a trader, two of the other traders, John Gillow and Martin (Slow Loris), also don't sell on the internet, so the only way to have a chance to buy from us is at events like these. With Di Gaffney giving a talk about 'Clothing for Ceremonies and Celebrations' for the June event, I'm planning to display some of my most gorgeous wedding kimono and there will even be some of these for sale.

No comments: