Thursday 23 August 2012

Festival of Quilts 2012

 

Festival of Quilts was a busy show, as usual, and

there were a number of bags and quilts brought for me to see, all made from my books and workshops, with promises of more photos to follow by e mail.


This version of Japanese Circles and Squares was started in the Lincolnshire workshop in October last year.  Click here and scroll down to see the blocks before they were sewn together.  The quilt looks different from many of the others because there is an eighth fabric in it as well as the randomly arranged fabrics, which looks especially successful with all those plaids and shirtings.


I managed to see most of the competitive quilts on Sunday morning and afternoon, but it still feels like a bit of a blur - so many quilts!  I enjoyed the European Art Quilts VII exhibit (click here for their gallery), Pauline Burbidge's retrospective and Anne Worringer's wonderful work, among other individual exhibitions, and there was a retrospective of Marie Roper's quilts and dolls too (more about that later).  The Quilt Museum had an exhibit of Turkey Red quilts - this is my favourite (does anyone else find the search function on the museum website doesn't work?)

We were next door to 21st Century Yarns, so some hand dyed bits and pieces came home with me, which I plan to use with some of my Japanese silks.  Glyn tracked down the sheer synthetics he wants for his next project (top secret again I expect).

No comments: