Monday 5 November 2012

Clare's amazing scrap quilt

 

Clare Worthy put a photo of this amazing scrap quilt on Facebook today - I think it's fantastic and just had to write a little blog post about it.  What a brilliant way to use up scraps. Clare's blog post is here - with loads more photos (I asked her if I could borrow one to show here).  

Somehow this 'lego quilt' idea isn't something I'd heard about, although I love making patchwork with scrap strips.  It's a bit busier than the 'Shimacho' or 'Kamon' (the Shimacho variation) from 'Japanese Quilt Inspirations' but works on a similar 'block' basis - although the 'block' isn't obvious with so many pieces. BTW, although some of the strips in those quilts look pieced, the fabrics included faux patchwork prints.

Clare posted a link to 'Lazy Gal' Tonya Ricucci's version too, which is, in turn, inspired by an antique strip quilt on 'Quilting with the Past'.  I love the idea that these quilts have an antique ancestor.  Tonya coined the name 'lego quilt' which is a very good description.

Could be a good clear out project for the winter evenings...


3 comments:

Clare said...

Thanks for the link and glad you liked the photos. It really was fun to do.

Clare said...

BTW every strip is as it looks. Lots of pieces "strung" together. I never thought I'd stop cutting!

magsramsay said...

Amazing! Thanks for the links, I've been making journal quilts from scraps but I love the idea of scaling up especially as I plan to make a cot quilt/play mat for a colleague at work (baby due in January)