Friday 30 November 2012

Spam comments

A while ago, there was a bit of a discussion among blogging friends re leaving the comments facility unmoderated.  Quite a few people felt the 'codes' given by the comment form (the one with the jumbled letters & numbers) - the thing you're asked to type in to prove you're not a spambot computer - were becoming harder and harder to read and retype.  It was also thought that there had been a big decline in spam comments anyway. I decided to leave this feature active on my blog's comments and now I'm glad I did, as there has been a marked increase in the number of spam comments being left over the last fortnight.  Are any other bloggers having a problem with this?

3 comments:

Anna said...

I have a LiveJournal blog in Russian, and the number of spam comments these last few months has been huge, both in English and Russian. I don't know how they do it, because this 'codes' feature for anonymous commentors is enabled in my blog, and they get through anyway.
By the way, I couldn't post this comment to your blog with my OpenID from LJ, as I did a few times before.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Much more spam, and they've started getting past the spam filter too!

Frieda Oxenham said...

Yes, Susan. I switched off my "codes" as I don't much like them myself on other sites but almost immediately I began to get spam which before that moment I had hardly ever had. So I have switched it back on again!