Sunday 29 September 2013

Scottish Quilt Championships


My quilt 'Maru' (Circle) was awarded a Judges' Merit, so it must have scored better than I expected it would. I think it works better with the gold cord circle, in the photo above. Originally, it didn't have the circle.  I wanted to see if it really needed it. The photos below show it before and after the circle was added. It was done with two lines of gold 'chainette'-type cord, a bit thicker than Twilley's Goldfingering.  I let the lines cross over each other here and there, to soften the finished line and slightly vary the thickness.  I was going to have three cord lines, but in the end two looked like enough.  Perhaps I should have kept the cord side by side? It will be interesting to see my judging forms for any comments.


It was hanging opposite Glyn's 'Welcome to Scotland'.

  
  

There were many fantastic quilts in the show and I expect there will be plenty of show reviews in the magazines. Nina MacDonald's Japanese fans quilt was finished with longarm quilting and looked lovely.  She started it at my workshop at Purely Patchwork last year - there's a work in progress photo here.

  
  

One of the ladies who came to my kinchaku bag workshop at Seattle Quilt Company last year brought her finished sashiko bag.



I had a good time, with friends staying and helping out on Friday.  The next show for me at Edinburgh will be the Spring Quilt Festival.

1 comment:

Sandra Wyman said...

A well-deserved Judges Merit, Susan: it's a beautiful quilt. Congratulations