Tuesday 12 August 2014

Unfini-sheds


This is the Unfini-sheds fundraising stand at Festival of Quilts last weekend.  You can read about the project here.  I don't think there was enough wall space to hang all of them at the same time.

Since the whole idea had morphed out of a suggestion I threw into the mix (for having the pieces not quite finished or at least not bound edges), I felt I needed to make a contribution.  I had two genuinely unfinished boromono-style patchwork panels that were supposed to be made into a tote bag for my first sashiko book, but we didn't use them because I already had another two bags finished... I backed and tacked both panels, in case I could get them done while at the show. Here's a photo of my 'Last Minute Boromono II', which was sold to one of my quilting friends Lorchen, in a slightly less finished state than the first one I made - there's a photo of that in my previous post.  I suggested that each piece could be used to enhance the qualities of the boro (which should look more worn and ragged really).  Before handing this one over, I used the Babylock embellisher on our neighbour's stand to soften the appearance of the plaid appliques!


Jan Allston, the Region 2 Area Rep for the Guild, organised the website and all the administration for this project. Some of the little pieces were available to buy before Festival of Quilts but she kept them all for the show, so there would be a good display. After quite a lot of gorgeous unfini-sheds had been listed and sold, I thought I might as well treat myself to some as well, and buy some as presents! I bought a few pieces before the show, as Jan was listing them almost every day on the website - I started checking for new arrivals a few times a day, as they were getting snapped up quickly. This piece is by Annabel Rainbow.  It is very similar to the large Chinese jar I use to store rice.  I love blue and white ceramics, so this will have to be displayed somewhere near my dresser. "A favourite vase which has appeard in Life 6 - Still Life (With Orange) and Life 7 - On The Shelf.  Applique on white cotton, free machining, acrylic paint."



This piece by Deborah O'Hare is called 'Moon Gazing Hare' and will be my mum's birthday present, once I've got it framed.  It is the first piece I bought from the website. I love it - quite a magical little scene where you can loose yourself in a daydream.


This is garden gate by Dilys Fronks is a close relative of her bigger 'gate' quilts, but with the gate delicately embroidered over the scene this time.  It is also going to be a present.  "A garden was designed and constructed using overlapping-strips of ready bonded fabrics cut with a fluted rotary cutter.  Machine quilting and texturing helps to hold the bonded fabrics in place and adds visual interest.  The gate was sewn on top using a machine satin stitch."


Hilary Beattie made 'Spring Jug' - "One in a long running series of ‘Jug’ pieces – this one is a sample made for a trio of silhouettes, but never bound and finished. Made using a mixture of commercial and hand painted fabrics and papers." I will frame this one later.  Originally I was going to have all the Unfini-sheds in the same room (guest bedroom) but I'd like to hang this one in the living room I think.  Hilary's work is usually very pictorial and a collage of fabrics, papers and trims - the spots in the background combined with the lace give this piece a very retro feeling.


I liked the vibrant colours of the "Majorelle' series by Pauline Barnes - it was hard to settle for just one! Her 'Kitchen Garden' quilt was my Judge's Choice several years ago at Quilts UK and the detail in her work is wonderful.

"These are genuine UFOs cut from a large quilt which I was making a few years ago after a visit to Morocco.  Inspiration was the Marjorelle gardens in Marrakech, once owned by Yves St Laurent.  The Quilt was named after the vivid blue colour which the original owner, artist Jacques Marjorelle, painted his villa-studio.  



I worked on the quilt for weeks but couldn't quite get it to 'gel' so decided to cut it up and rearrange it, which didn't work either!  It has been in a drawer ever since and I thought if I cut it up again someone might see potential in it.  There are lots of exotic plants in the gardens and white painted stucco on the villa.  I have used hand dyed cotton fabric, polyester sheers with free machine stitching for the greenery, and Evolon Soft, hand cut into Islamic patterns and appliquéd by machine."                         



The final piece by Terry Donaldson is a present for Glyn - I knew he would like this very much!

"Inspired by the view from a Cornish cliff top after an open air theatre event.  This is a copy of one of my CQ Journal quilts from 2012.  Hand dyed and printed fabrics with machine quilting."



Now to frame them all!

No comments: