Tuesday 11 November 2014

Sashiko in Tokyo - exhibitions


As I mentioned last week, quilts from the Loch Lomond Sashiko Guild are currently on show in Tokyo with work by Yuza Sashiko Guild at the Japan Handcrafts Teachers' Association's exhibition at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, until November 15th.  Several textile friends have visited and Lisa Walton, who is in Tokyo with an Australian quilters tour at the moment for Quilt Week Yokohama, sent me the photo above.  The exhibition also features work by Yuza Sashiko Guild members of course and I hope I will have some more photos soon.  Keiko Abe of Yuza Sashiko Guild has won an award for her piece "Itomaki" (bobbins) and I would like to see it.  I think it may be this piece that was being worked on when we visited Yuza Sashiko Guild's Friday morning meeting in May, but I'm not completely sure, as I only have a photo of the sashiko and not the maker with it.




This morning I had an e mail from our friends in Yuza-machi asking if the Loch Lomond sashiko quilts could also be exhibited at Otsuma Women's University's New Gallery on the Chiyoda Campus in Tokyo after the current exhibition closes.  University President Ms Hanamura saw our work at the Metropolitan Art Museum and has invited us to exhibit.  Of course I said yes!  I am delighted that our sashiko can be seen by so many people in Tokyo and they will know about our project to popularise Yuza and Shonai Sashiko in the UK.  As soon as I have more details, I'll post them.

No comments: