Monday 29 December 2014

Sally's Japanese Quilt Blocks quilt


Sally Ann Westcott in Hobart, Tasmania, sent me some photos of her Japanese Quilt Blocks quilt she's been working on for a while now.  She wrote -

I'm attacking a UFO! How long ago did I make the top? Can't remember.

 The quilting is still being done so it looks a bit funny and wobbly.

The good news is that it can't be longer than seven years, because 'Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match' was published in 2007! If I remember correctly, we 'met' online because of that book and I started following her blog, Sally's Stuff.  We chat more on Facebook these days.  I love being able to chat with friends all over the world.




Here are the blocks from the book.  Sally has done some in sashiko and others using recycled vintage kimono fabrics - hence the subtle colour scheme. 


 Sally - The sun keep coming and going which made it really difficult (to take photos).







This panel gave me headaches.  The weave is very open and after I had quilted the crane and the turtle the background bagged horribly!  I have had to stipple it nearly to death to make it sit flat!

I had similar problems when I made the sashiko sampler quilt for 'The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook', because those thick, loosely woven Japanese craft fabrics have quite a lot more stretch to them than the other fabrics I used, so the blocks looked sort of baggy once the sashing was quilted.
 

 The stippling has worked well to control the panel and give it an interesting texture too.

 

 No doubt Sally has been 'helped' by Norman, her gorgeous ginger tiger cat.


Sally reckons she'll have the quilt finished soon, so I'll post another photo when I see the finished quilt.   Thanks very much for sharing the ones above.


No comments: