Tuesday 20 October 2015

Sashiko samplers






Fiona Fitheridge (who you might have spotted as my 'Girl Friday' at the Edinburgh quilt shows) posted a photo on Facebook of the little sashiko sampler she made after my first Edinburgh Patchwork sashiko workshop just over a week ago.  It is 9in square but she's managed to fit in samples of quite a few traditional stitches, plus a couple of her own motifs.  Lovely! - and made so quickly too.

If you are interested in a different sashiko sampler workshop, I'm teaching for Clare at Thistle Threads on Saturday. We will be getting started with the gorgeous sampler table runner from my first sashiko book.  I love this design, which I have also made into a version of the Rice Sack Bag and I think I'll start another panel for a bag as my demo piece on Saturday.  It plays with several variations on asanoha (hemp leaf) and shippo (seven treasures), all based on the same marking grid.  Clare has booked St Andrews hall at Callander for our workshop venue, and the workshop fee of £50 includes delicious home baking and a soup & home made bread lunch.  I will have threads, fabrics, needles, marking pens etc. to buy so no worries about materials.  I have managed to find a beautiful 50/50 cotton/linen blend at Kaleidoscope Quilts that is very close to the original black sashiko fabric I used (which is no longer available), so I will have strips of that available for just £2 per piece or you can use some of my coloured sashiko fabrics instead (£9 per metre for colours, £10 per metre for dark indigo blue). To book this workshop call Clare on 01877 382924.


No comments: