Thursday, 24 March 2016

Sidmouth Revisited - progress


I had to put my Sidmouth Revisited project away for a few months, as I had got stuck on some of the maths!  Trying to figure out the correct sizes for the next frame after the second hourglass X-block frame seemed impossible.  I thought I'd done it but had seriously got stuck.  So I went back to my calculator and figured out a better way to work out the various patch sizes. This frame has slightly irregular symmetry too.  It isn't just a random series of squares, and many of the patches are rectangular.  Have a look at it in the photo of the original quilt below. Remember, I'm working this out without having taken measurements from the original quilt and I wanted my version to use charm squares as much as possible... But I've done the calculations correctly at last and it looks like the next frame, with the squares on point, is going to be another that works with charm squares too.  The system I came up with should work for the outer frames too.  Sidmouth Revisited is destined for Today's Quilter magazine later this year.


2 comments:

Margaret said...

Sue, so glad I've found your blog. I have been making a Japanese-style 'taupe' quilt for my son and his bride-to-be, using your book, Japanese Taupe Quilts, for patterns and inspiration. I'm having a wonderful time with this challenge, and want to thank you for your contribution to it.

mara oliveira said...

Esta ficando muito linda, tambem estou trabalhando em quadradinhos por aqui... a minha logo ficará pronta...
abraços do Brasil