Sunday 2 April 2017

Sidmouth Revisited - twice!


Kim Higgins posted some photos on Facebook showing my Sidmouth Revisited quilt and Rachel Nichol's version hanging side by side at the Quilters' Guild AGM in Torquay this weekend.  Lovely photos and it is great to see them beside each other, even though it feels a little like seeing double!



Spot the difference!  Mine is above and Rachel's is below.


This is the original -


Another photo of mine, with slightly better lighting -



Kim wrote -

I'm probably not going to have time to look at the exhibition at the Torre Abbey this trip, so I'm glad to see two replicas of the Sidmouth quilt here at the conference.

I happen to be stood taking photos alongside Heather, the QGBI Curator of quilt collections so we admired these two together. 

Susan Briscoe's hand quilting of her replica deserves a photo of the back side too. I believe this is more authentic in terms of fabric colours, no binding and its hand quilted. Am I right to describe the back side as "wholecloth"?

But I love the fabric choices of Rachel Nichols' quilt which, in my opinion, still gives it an olde worlde antique look even with it being machine quilted.

I think I need to dig out the pattern from The Today's Quilter magazine and put it (yet another project) on my ever growing quilting to-do list!

The original is on show at Torre Abbey at the moment, along with some other quilts from the Guild's collection.

This is the first time I've really viewed the back with the quilt hanging up.  It still needs some extra quilting, but the quilting shows up very nicely on the cream sateen I used for the back.

UPDATE - I pasted all three together in this photo, so you can see them side by side.  The resolution isn't very high but you can still see it a bit larger if you click on the photo -

1 comment:

Susie Q said...

I like seeing the different versions.... side by side.....

Am I correct to say that the back of the quilt is not considered a whole cloth... but the back of a quilt?