Tuesday 30 April 2019

Sashiko and the Knit and Stitch Show at the Rheged Centre


It has been a while since I managed to add any photos of student sashiko work, so here is Joyce Petrie's lovely sampler from the final sashiko course at Edinburgh.  It is going to be shown in her group's exhibition in May (more details coming soon) and also at the Sashiko in Stockton exhibition at All Saints' Church, Hartburn, Stockton-on-Tees, on Saturday 20th July (more info on my website events page).  Here's the poster for the Busy Bees exhibition -



This version of my koi carp was stitched by Marian Nichols.  I'm revisiting this design at the moment, and working on a new version...


This little boro inspired landscape was my workshop at the Spring Quilt Festivals at Newark and Harrogate, and I am teaching it again this weekend at the Knit and Stitch Show at the Rheged Centre, Penrith.  Sorry, it is already sold out! I think I will have to do it as an online tutorial sometime. I'm also giving a free talk there on Saturday, 'Japanese Sashiko - working together'.


I was on Sewing Quarter TV again last Sunday, with two one hour sashiko lessons (2nd and 4th hour of the show), focusing on using the sashiko panels I created for Olympus.



We've been at several shows this year, including the Spring Quilt Festivals and World Textile Days, and the boro side of things is getting more and more popular! So we are taking recycled vintage Japanese fabrics for sale too. These bags were made in my boro bag workshops in 2018.






My 2018 - 2019 sashiko couse at Stockton is now finished, and my students have some amazing collections of blocks to put together in their samplers. The dates for my 2019 -2020 Stockton course are now on my website (events page) along with the two sashiko summer schools I'll be teaching too.  Please contact me via the website if you are interested in booking.






No comments: