Tuesday 3 February 2009

Snowed in!

I won't be able to get to Llangollen today to demonstrate at Quiltfest, as planned, because we are snowed in thanks to Wrexham County Borough Council's inability to provide any grit for Mount Zion! I phoned the council's highways maintenance this morning and asked them to get some grit up here asap - more snow is forecast today.

Our cul-de-sac never gets any grit delivered unless we ask. There are 14 houses that need to access the main road via Mount Zion and the road slopes down to the junction, so if you started to slide, it would be impossible to stop. From my house, it is only about 20 yards. The only tyre tracks on the road this morning are one set of 4 x 4. Nothing else has moved.

Yesterday I walked into the village with my mail order post and Pool Road (our main road) and roads around the village were all clear - because they had been gritted of course. The council estate roads were clear. We don't have any council houses on Mount Zion so obviously we don't count! It was pretty slippery underfoot on our road too.

I phoned the Pavilion at Llangollen and they are open and roads around are OK. I'm sure that if I could have got onto the main road I would have been OK. GRRR....

The way the UK fails to cope with snow is infuriating, as it was never a problem in Yamagata! There, the roads are cleared by running water over the snow. No salt grit. The first time I saw it, I thought it was hot water. My friend Hiroko has the same system on their parking lot and told me the water needs to be only just above freezing for it to work. The amount of waste water that will go straight down the drains up here today would be enough to clear the road...

No comments: