Tuesday 1 September 2009

To blog or not to blog...

..that is the question...

One of my friends queried whether or not quilters should blog about their latest pieces of work or not, if they are intending to enter them in competitive quilt shows.

Since the UK's shows (on the whole) don't require work to remain "unpublished" before the show, I think it is OK to blog if you want to. Will the judges really be likely to be browsing quilters' blogs just before the show? Well, I don't have the time to do that, with just 2 days to go before the Great Northern Quilt Show, so I don't imagine anyone else has either!

Perhaps more obviously, my publishers really wouldn't want me to blog about work that is going to appear in a new book, at least until only a month or two before publication date. That is perhaps more understandable...

This year I've entered more quilts in UK shows than any other year, mainly because I want to support these shows which give so much pleasure to quilters (I used to love visiting shows way before I became involved in them from a business point of view). I'm not entering to win (although it is nice to get a rosette) so I think it is OK to blog about a quilt before the show. It gives people reading my blog a chance to see work in progress too.

Any comments?

1 comment:

magsramsay said...

Difficult one - I've compromised by showing details and sections of what I'm working on but not the whole thing until after it's been exhibited (accused of being a teriible tease!)I started doing this for a quilt that I was entering for a juried exhibition. I do blog about all my Journal Quilts etc that are not going to enter shows.