Monday 29 March 2010

Spring Quilt Festival, Exeter - photos


At the Westpoint Arena, Exeter on Sunday afternoon, with (from left to right) "Masu", "99 Treasures", various bags from "Fabulous Fat Quarter Bags", the "Hakone Yosegi Sampler" from "Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match" and the original version of the Fat Quarter Kimono.

The throw from "Japanese Sashiko Inspirations" covers the demo table.


"The Denman Kannon" was displayed against the back of the "Kasuri Sampler" (from "Japanese Quilt Blocks..."), facing out into the aisle (as I displayed it at Edinburgh), so visitors could get very close to the stitching.


Remember my sashiko workshop with Bristol Quilters a few weeks ago? Hazel brought her finished panel. The rust coloured fabric will be the border.


Rosalind Dixon showed me her version of my "99 Treasures" quilt (you can see the original in the background). Great fabric collection! When this quilt is made with the same colours for the background squares, it is surprising how closely it resembles the original, even when the circles are from different fabric selections. The way Rosalind combined the two shaded fabrics in the border is particularly effective.


Pat Vian of Lioness Quilters, Scilly, had two bags she'd made from "21 Terrific Patchwork Bags". Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Pat (and I hope I read her name correctly from the note Guy left) as I was teaching a workshop. Her version of the backpack is so summery.


Several visitors told me about this lovely quilt by Pat Bennetts, which features kamon crest blocks in both applique and sashiko from my "Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match" book. It is unusual to see them done in both techiques side by side on the same quilt.

Pat makes great use of her Japanese style prints in the following blocks, with the print pattern flowing from one part of the design to another in the first block, "Genji Guruma" ("Genji" carriage wheel) -


I had a few things on my shopping list, including very dark plain blue, plain cream and something to go with this panel for a new project (I got a great coordinating woven plaid from Strawberry Fayre).

I was also on the lookout for another Jelly Roll, and (fingers crossed!) the coordinating charm pack, of "Authentic", a typography based print range by Sweetwater for Moda. It only came out last Autumn or so and I hadn't seen it at any of the shows. I hoped I might find it with The Quilt Room or Puddleducks, as these shops stock a wide range of Moda Jelly Roll cuts. Both had sold out of that range ages ago! I got pieces of the two "dictionary" fabrics from New Threads Quilt Shop (I'm sure Meg mentioned that she had some of the numbers fabric but I can't find her website right now!). No one else had it, so I ended up ordering both cuts online from Abbi May's Fabric Shop when I got home. There's nothing quite as good as being able to look at a Jelly Roll in 3-D, so I would prefer to buy them in real life if possible.

No comments: