Tuesday 31 March 2015

Thoughts for groups booking speakers and tutors


Quilt book author and teacher Linda Seward has put two articles she wrote for The Quilter, the Quilters' Guild of the British Isles quarterly members' magazine, on her blog.  The first was written published in 2003 and the second in the latest issue.  Both articles explain the logistics of doing talks and workshops from the tutor's point of view and help explain things that make the event go smoothly - or not so smoothly - for all concerned. They are well worth a read.

From a speaker's point of view, I think I'll request people to ask me to pose when they take photos in talks - they are very welcome to take pictures of the quilts but there must be quite a few photos of me with really odd expressions floating around!  These are some of the best I've got of me speaking, taken when I went to Shipton Oliffe near Cheltenham in October 2011.


Having a great quilt display team from the audience also helps.  It is usually Glyn's job when I'm speaking closer to home. Taller people are definitely an advantage.

  

Tonight I'm speaking at Deepdale Community Centre, Boston Spa, near Wetherby - my talk will be 'My Japanese Quilt Inspirations' - and tomorrow I'll be at Brampton Memorial Centre, Brampton, Huntingdon for 'My Japanese Quilt and Sashiko Inspirations'.  Both talks start at 7.30 p.m.

No comments: