11 minutes ago
Sunday, 3 May 2015
Summerhouse - cutting the barge boards 2
The barge board design still needed some tweaking, as it didn't look detailed enough after the first few cuts. So I added some more tomoe commas to the design and some small circles to fill up some of the empty space without cutting too high up towards the top of the board. I thought about the way water droplets are shown on this sashiko kamon crest I stitched for 'Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match' and adapted the idea from that. The comma cut outs make the curves look like simplified waves. Glyn also cut a few more curves and swags into the edge, as it looked a little too plain before. It has been easier to let this design develop organically as we went along, looking at the boards and seeing if they needed a little extra work at each stage.
Glyn measuring to drill and countersink the screw holes.
The first board nearly up...
... and the second.
Glyn tries out the onigawara for fit.
The overall effect! The dramatic sky hinted at the rain starting soon after we took this photo. It is raining again this morning, with high winds, and the forecast is for heavy rain all day, so I don't think we'll get much done outside today. We made good progress yesterday, thanks to Glyn's skill with a drill bit and a jigsaw.