Saturday 15 August 2015

Igeta (or hashtag) quilt block


'Igeta', the kanji character used to write the word 'well' 井 in Japanese and Chinese, is one of my favourite motifs.  It is used a lot as a textile design, especially for kasuri (ikat) woven fabrics.

 

I have made several quilt block designs with igeta and various more complicated variations in 'Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match' (2007) and 'Japanese Taupe Quilt Blocks' (2010).










This all over igeta quilt design and the red and black quilt at the start of this post were in 'Japanese Quilt Inspirations' in 2011, with the red and black one also appearing, as a top only, in 'Japanese Quilt Blocks to Mix and Match'.



It's a great design.  Missouri Star Quilt Co. have released a version of it on Youtube today, although they call it a 'hashtag' design, which works with a layer cake.

2 comments:

Isabelle said...

What a wonderful post with so many gorgeous blocks :)
I love japanese taupe fabrics....

Susie Q said...

It is a great design and you have done some special variations that have me pondering if I should do some myself.....