Saturday 9 April 2011

Super Strips in Bridlington


I am in Bridlington for a residential sashiko course starting on Monday and the Sashiko Furoshiki workshop tomorow, all at the Royal Hotel, so we decided to fit in a Super Strips workshop today. It is quite unusual for me to teach the same workshop two days in a row, so it was especially interesting that several quilters had the same strip cuts as were used at Middlesbrough yesterday! Bali Batik Pops in 'Cappucino' colourway - in two versions today -


The first was made by Charlotte, who sent me photos of her Japanese Circles and Squares quilts earlier this week, and the second by our host, Fiona.


Fiona has been making coordinated quilts for the guest lounge at the Royal. This is her extended version of Japanese Circles and Squares.


Barbara made a striking purple and yellow version of Japanese Circles and Squares back in January. Today, her fabrics were a bit more subdued, with a 'Maison de Garance' Jelly Roll from Moda.


Here's another traditional Jelly Roll, 'Hartfield', also by Moda (this one is no longer available, unless you can find a shop with old stock).


Other batiks included 'Spumoni' colourway Bali Pop and several colourways in Fabric Freedom rolls - the last three of these are the Fabric Freedom ones. I think the second one is Bali Pop's 'Strawberry' (can anyone let me know?)


This Celtic themed roll made a gorgeously golden patchwork, mixing Celtic motif fabrics with swirly gold prints. This is a roll I'd like to add to my collection, for a new workshop sample. UPDATE - I did add it to my stash, on our trip to Scarborough Sewing Centre on Monday. The roll is made by Fabric Freedom. Contact the shop if you would like one the same, or the Bali Pops or other Fabric Freedom rolls above - I think they have all of them, although I don't know the names of the rolls. I've tried looking for the roll names on the Fabric Freedom site but I don't find it the easiest to use - no obvious section for their 'strippers' rolls. Simply calling Scarborough Sewing Centre would be the easiest - their phone no. is 01723 363167.


So interesting to see so many Super Strips made in just two days. These will make some lovely quilts!

No comments: